With a bang we said goodbye to Empire Field. It was a great day for a Tailgate party and party it up we did. There were plenty of blueberry hotcakes, crepes and French toast to be had. There were multiple pounds of bacon and ham and Swiss cheese. Mimosas and freshly brewed coffee were there too.
We had a great time and we celebrated the End of an Empire. The Tailgate Empire strives to live on regardless of the playing field, but we will be forever grateful to the people that operated the facility for providing us a great spot to tailgate, and enabling us to reminisce about a different era in Vancouver.
A “Breakfast’Gater”, is when a tailgate party starts so early that breakfast is the meal prepared. We at the Tailgate Empire love these. This is one of the great appeals of the afternoon games at Empire Field. An early morning rise to head down to the stadium, and a beautiful sunny morning of cooking pancakes and bacon can’t be beat. You can add bacon to almost anything and it is instantly better!
At most breakfast’gaters I have been known to prepare crepes. The thin French pancake is a great breakfast/lunch item as you can stuff them with whatever you would like. For this day, I came prepared with Black Forest Ham, Maasdam Swiss Cheese and mushrooms. This was a great combo, but then I had an epiphany. Why not add bacon? The “Crepenator” was born and it was epic!!!!!!!
Fellow Tailgate Empire member Andrew was grilling up some Blueberry pancakes that were just melting in my mouth and the Emperor himself Brian W. grilled up his Dad’s famous French toast.
We all had full bellies and full hearts as we said goodbye to an era in Vancouver sports that was much needed. It was good to get away from the hustle and bustle of downtown and get back out to East Van to watch pro sports. That said, it will be great to open up the new BC Place stadium and get back to where I fell in love with the Orange and Black.
Tailgating downtown has always been a bit of a struggle. The PNE was the birthplace of the Tailgate Empire, but we will live on. We always do. Look for us at the corner of Quebec and Terminal and always obey the rules of tailgating that have never failed us.
- Pack it in. Pack it out. Be prepared to take your garbage home
- Propane bbq’s are the only type that should be used. Briquette bbq’s are just too dangerous to use around parked cars. Not to mention the disposal of hot coals as game time approaches. It just doesn’t make sense.
- Pay for every spot that you occupy. Pay for the spot when you get there. The parking lot deserves to earn revenue for their spots, and ensuring that they do will only help tailgaters.
- All beverages must be in cups. Simple, just put it in a cup.
- Plan a safe ride home! Make sure you have a designated driver.
From everyone at the Tailgate Empire, we enjoyed your company at Empire Field and look forward to seeing you on Friday September 30th!!