The 2010 BC Lions Schedule was released Monday, and for the first time in years, the team will play the majority of it’s home games on weekends.
With the club returning to an outdoor venue at “Empire Field” this season, just two Friday nights are on the schedule, while a Sunday game and six Saturday contests close out the home the home schedule. There will also be a few afternoon games on the schedule just like the old days at Empire Stadium.
“We are very pleased with the 2010 schedule and we believe our fans will be as well,” said Lions vice president of business, George Chayka. “With six games played on Saturdays and three afternoon starts in total, we couldn’t have asked for a better way to return outdoors for the first time in 27 years. Five weekend games after Labour Day and three afternoon starts are great news for Lions fans outside the Lower Mainland or traveling from Interior BC.”
As an avid tailgater, I’m pretty excited about the prospects of these weekend games. Of course we’ll hope our pre game rituals are welcomed by those working the parking around the PNE.
Some other schedule tidbits:
- The Lions open the season on July 4th in Edmonton against the Eskimos.
- The Lions open and close their home schedule against the Western Division Champion Saskatchewan Roughriders.
- The Lions will travel to Montreal to play the Grey Cup Champion Alouettes on Labour Day Weekend.
- The Lions play Saskatchewan and Edmonton three times. They play Calgary four times.
- The Lions will pay one visit to Mosaic Stadium at Taylor Field, and twice at Commonwealth.
- For the first time in a long time the Lions will play over half of their home schedule after Labour Day.
- The Lions play just one back to back series, October 2nd, and October 11th, versus Winnipeg.
Your full 2010 BC Lions Schedule is here. Make sure to bookmark it so you don’t miss any of the action this season. We’ll also be linking to our game recaps for your convenience on the schedule page.